Friday, July 20, 2012

LibGuides not Ad-libs,

My time volunteering may have started off on a forgetful note
But alas! my time at MBI's Crowell Library was not forgetful--it was informative! That is to be expected when working at a library--is it not?! During my volunteer time at Crowell Library I had the pleasure of working with the Technical Services Librarian, Lori Johnson! Our day began with an overview of what LibGuides are: "Research assistance, subject guides, and useful resources compiled by your friendly librarians. Know what we know - find it in LibGuides!" And surprisingly, before this point I knew absolutely nothing about libguides! I know, I know, what kind of volunteer am I?! But come on! There's so much to learn about in a library!

So Lori sat me, the libguide newb, down at a computer and showed me what libguides were, how to edit and manage them AND she taught me all the "pro-tips" like the two windows side by side as pictured above! After the generals Lori showed me what category within libguides I was going to be updating: "Social Work and Counseling Resources." And specifically within this libguide I updated the "abuse" tab.




To update the libguide (as pictured above) I began linking the book titles to the specific Crowell Library catalogue page. I added call numbers to the libguide. And I searched for summary information on the book in order to provide an adequate overview of the material. For most summaries I used the actual information given on the back of the book and occasionally listed information from the table of contents and from online resources. After I finished I couldn't believe how much work libguides were! And I could not believe how useful they are! Libguides are an excellent resource for all your academic and ministerial needs. I could not believe I never took advantage of these guides before. Thankfully, Amy informed me that they were created within the past year--so I didn't feel too behind in my research methods. But remember dear patrons! You can get a jumpstart on your research before you even step foot in the library with libguides! For their name is self-explanatory--they guide you to resources found at Crowell Library! And guess what...some of the resources found on libguides are even accessible as an electronic resource online!

No comments: