Friday, August 3, 2012

Pig in a Poke // Cat in a bag

With a jog of my memory, this week's volunteer time was an implementation of something I learned a few weeks ago from Technical Services Librarian Lori Johnson: libguides! The need for this jog down memory lane (one that although was only a few weeks ago, definitely was a bit rusty) was in preparation for the upcoming fall semester.

This upcoming fall I will be an "unofficial" member of the Student Theological Society. And I am currently brainstorming on how to cultivate a relationship between Crowell Library and STS! Pairing a few conversations with Gary Corcoran, the new president of STS and a good friend of mine--along with the wise words, per usual, of Amy Koehler...we got the ball rolling! The Student Theological Society desires to bring in speakers who are scholars in specific fields of theological interest in order to have an open conversation about issues, questions, and of course their area of expertise. One thing that I would like to see happen is not just a conversation during the lecture/interview/q&a, but also a continual conversation after they leave, as well as an informed audience before the arrival of the speaker!

And that is where Crowell Library comes into play! In order to have an informed audience there needs to be adequate resources! So Amy proposed the idea of a both a biographical and bibliographic libguide for all the different speakers. Although the speaker is confirmed (one of my favorites if I might add) the libguide I worked on is not to be announced until STS officially begins in the fall! Let's just say it's a she and I think this urbanite institute would welcome her insightful words of agrarian thought (wink)

Apologies for keeping the cat in the bag, but at least your appetites are wet! But if you scour the libguides...you might just get lucky in finding my current WIP (work in progress)!

No comments: